Subject: The Edward Carpenter Community : Events 1994
From: [email-masked] (Philip)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 1994 11:28:36 GMT

THE EDWARD CARPENTER COMMUNITY

I am taking this opportunity of posting a message to draw soc.motss
readers attention to the existence of the gay network in the UK known as 
the Edward Carpenter Community - in particular I am doing this now as the 
1994 national events have just been announced and bookings are now being 
taken.

The Edward Carpenter Community (ECC) is a network of gay men committed to
"personal growth, sharing, trust, mutual support and creativity". If
that all sounds a bit heavy, don't believe it, the events are often 
outrageous, camp and more fun than almost anywhere else. For many 
people their first ECC week is a life-changing experience.

Originally the ECC was based on the ideal of a rural community of men
living together. There are now 2 living communities in London but with
an emphasis now more on residential events held at a number of very special 
venues around the UK. There will probably be nine national events this year - 
all are 1 week long (except the 10 day event - the "tweek" - in June). All 
the events are known as "GMWs" (= Gay Mens Weeks). Numbers of people 
attending each event vary from 20 to 65. Prices are on a sliding scale -
the principle is that no-one should be prevented from attending due to low
income, unemployment, health problems etc.

Some of the 1994 national ECC events are as follows :-

APRIL : GMW 1 is in the Lake District at Wasdale. A spectacular location
        with excellent walking in the vicinity.

JUNE :  GMW 2 is at a very special location, Lauriston Hall in SW Scotland.
        This is where the ECC was formed and it remains a "spiritual home".
        This event is 10 days long.

JULY/AUG : GMW 3 is a 7 day event again at Lauriston Hall. (* Note - this
           week is particularly heavily booked! *)

AUGUST : GMW 4  Also in the Lake District with an emphasis on outdoor 
         activities.

SEPTEMBER : A new concept - a joint Lesbian/Gay week at Lauriston Hall. This 
            is the first time this has been tried.

There will be other weeks whose details are yet to be confirmed. If you are 
interested in more information and a booking form for any of the events
then please phone the main ECC contact in London :  (UK+)   081-672-8857.

These events are so popular that places are rapidly filled - particularly
for the Lauriston events which are usually fully booked within days of their
being announced. However, there is a policy of reserving one-third of the 
places for those who have not previously attended so this gives the 
first-timer a reasonable chance of getting a place.

Please feel free to contact me for information. Sorry I *cannot*
deal with actual bookings - these must be made in writing to the person
dealing with the specific event. 

Philip  

email : [email-masked]