From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 18:41:24 +0200

UK DISCRIMINATION CASE REFERRED TO EUROPEAN COURT OF JUSTICE
By Alan Reekie

According to the British press on 23 July, the Southampton
Industrial Tribunal has referred the case involving the British
railway staff member Lisa Grant, whose employer refused to issue
a concessionary travel permit  to her partner Jill Percey,
despite its stated commitment to non-discrimination, solely
because she is not a man, to the European Court of Justice (ECJ)
in Luxemburg. The Tribunal has requested the ECJ, as the body
responsible for ajudicating on disputes arising from the
interpretation or application of the European Treaties or
legislation based on them to rule whether or not the European
Union's general prohibition of "discrimination based on sex"
applies in particular to discrimination against same-sex
partners, relative to opposite-sex partners. The ECJ's ruling in
this case should, in due course, set an important precedent that
may have to be taken into account when drafting any national
legislation intended to define the procedure for official
recognition of same-sex partnerships in EU member-States.

(Published in EuroLetter 43)