From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 18:41:24 +0200

DUTCH COMMISSION ON CIVIL MARRIAGE

On 26 June 1996 the Dutch State-Secretary of Justice has
appointed a Commission of legal experts to look into the
advantages and disadvantages of civil marriage between persons
of the same sex. This followed the adoption by Parliament, on 16
April, of a resolution asking for legislation to open up
marriage for same-sex couples. The Commission will make an
inventory of national and international, social and legal
aspects, including the issues of parenthood and adoption. Before
August 1997 it must advise on the content of a possible
legislative proposal.

The Commission is chaired by Bas Kortmann, professor of private
law at the Catholic university of Nijmegen. Among the other
members are Astrid Mattijssen and Kees Waaaldijk, who have been
active both in the Dutch lesbian/gay movement and in the
International Lesbian and Association (lLGA). Until recently
both worked as law researchers at the Department of Gay and
Lesbian Studies (Homostudies) of the University of Utrecht. At
present Astrid Mattijssen is working as legal staff member at
the Clara Wichman institute, the academic institute for women
and the law. At the University of Utrecht she teaches a course
on homosexuality and the law. Kees Waaldijk is employed by the
Netherlands institute of Human Rights (SIM) at the same
University to do research on the free movement of same-sex
partners in Europe. He teaches law at the University of Leiden,
and is a member of the Netherlands Family Council.

(Published in EuroLetter 43)