From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 18:41:24 +0200

IRELAND: NEW REPORT ON HIV/AIDS & GAY COMMUNITY PUBLISHED
By GLEN, Ireland

In June 1996 GLEN published a report on "HIV prevention
strategies and the Gay Community: Phase One report - a baseline
study".

This is the report of Phase One of an action research project to
develop a renewed and integrated HIV prevention strategy for gay
men.  The objective is to radically reduce the number of new HIV
infections so that it approaches zero.  The report was
commissioned and funded by the Department of Health,
co-ordinated by the Gay and Lesbian Equality Network and carried
out by Nexus Research Co-operative.

The project is based on the principle that gay community
development and measures to promote the self-esteem of gay men
are essential to effective HIV prevention work.  The research
focused on examining the capacity and needs of gay community
organisations to carry out such health promotion work.  The
report also includes the findings of a survey of the statutory
sector and other voluntary AIDS groups as well as a survey of
relevant Irish and international literature.  The report
recommends that there should be a partnership between the gay
community and the statutory sector.

The report costs five Irish pounds (IR5) and can be obtained
from: Eoin Collins, Nexus Research, Fumbally Court, Fumbally
Lane, Dublin 8, Ireland.  (Tel: +353-1-473-0599 / Fax:
+353-1-473-0597 / E-mail: [email-masked]).

(Published in Euroletter 43)