From: REEKIE Alan Fraser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 94 11:51:00 MST

To all concerned:

Here is an extract from the official invitation for groups in the European 
Union to apply for EU funding to contribute to the costs of  projects that 
could form part of this programme (see Official Journal, S74 , page 164 and 
C108, of 16 April 1994, for other EU languages)  .
Please forward to anybody likely to be interested.

Alan Reekie
__________

"EUROPE against AIDS " Programme

In the context of its programme of action against AIDS, the European Commission's
Health and Safety Directorate (DG VE) is inviting applications for EU financial support
for specific projects relating to AIDS research.

The closing date for the receipt of proposals is 12 July 1994.

The areas of activity covered by this Call for Proposals and the required tasks under
each activity are the following:

1. Assessment of the knowledge, attitudes and behaviour of the general public and
certain target groups (populations with high-risk lifestyles or in high-risk environments,
marginalised communities, social groups with a particular influence); information and
awareness-raising campaigns for the public and these groups.

Tasks

 - Assessment of the results of surveys carries out in the member-States and at
Community level on knowledge, attitudes and behaviour in the face of this epidemic
 - Assessment of the desirability of undertaking studies to augment existing information
in particular areas at EU level
 - Analysis of the information campaigns run for the general public and target sections
of the population, such as homosexuals and bisexuals, minorities and migrants;
dissemination of the results, encouragement of exchanges allowing experience in the
member-States to be compared;
 - Measurement of changes in knowledge, attitudes and behaviour in the face of the
epidemic, and assessment of the impact on behaviour of preventive measures undertaken
in member-States;
 - Development of ways to increase co-ordination and links between campaigns in the
member-States, and of possible Community measures which could complement or
contribute to such campaigns, including the use of the media and production of specific
materials, such as those intended to make information easily available to political and
community leaders;
 - Promotion of measures to increase public understanding and awareness of the problems
caused by the epidemic for society as a whole and for the individuals and families
directly affected;
 - Encouragement of the development of telephone and computerised response
mechanisms in the European Union, and of centres providing information to the public
or specific groups, and promotion of exchanges of experience between them;
 - Dissemination of the data on knowledge, attitudes and behaviour and on preventive
measures.

2. Measures for children and young people.

Tasks:

 - Examination and promotion of exchanges of information on HIV/AIDS education in
schools and other educational and training establishments for young people in the
member-States, and on how HIV/AIDS education fits into the provision of sex education
and general health education in such establishments;
 - Exchange of information on HIV/AIDS education programmes designed for children
and young people outside the formal educational setting, and on the interaction of these
programmes with the general health education within and outside of the education
system;
 -Promotion of pilot educational projects on HIV/AIDS which fit into general education
and general health promotion for children and young people within and outside of the
education system

3. Prevention of HIV transmission among particular groups:

a) Travel and tourism

Tasks:

 -Analysis and promotion of exchanges of information and experience on problems
related to tourism, to people travelling within the EU and to and from other countries,
and to border areas with non-Union States; promotion of pilot projects and networks
geared towards preventive action in tourist resorts, frontier areas and other relevant
locations.
b) Prisons

Tasks:

 - Examination and promotion of exchanges of information on the current regimes in the
EU for people with HIV and AIDS in prisons and detention centres, including
procedures on admission, during incarceration and after release, education of prisoners,
training of prison staff and the possibility of specific prevention and harm-reduction
measures;
 - Promotion of pilot projects which, taking account of regulations and local 
circumstances, are aimed at developing new methods of providing care and support for
those with HIV and AIDS, reducing the risks of transmission of HIV and improving the
training provided to staff working in prisons

c) Injecting drug-users

(...)

d) Women exposed to specific risks of infection by HIV

(...)

e) Vertical transmission of HIV from mothers to children

(...)

f) Other populations with high-risk lifestyles

Tasks:

 - Exchanges of information between member-States on the preventive measures being
taken for groups such as young homosexuals and bisexuals; establishment of pilot
projects in this area

4. Social and psychological support

Tasks:

 - Elaboration and dissemination of manuals, information bulletins and directories
providing the latest information on prevention of transmission of HIV, on 
care and therapy, and on organisations providing information and support;
 - Promotion of exchanges of experience on models of assistance and support for people
with HIV and AIDS, and promotion of studies on the psycho-social aspects of
HIV/AIDS.

5. Gathering data on HIV/AIDS

Tasks

 - Encouragement of efforts to increase and improve epidemiological training in
HIV/AIDS and related fields in the EU and to build upon links between the responsible
institutions in the member-States;
 - Examination of the circumstances in which HIV infection occurs, and promotion of
exchanges of information concerning infected persons who remain asymptomatic for long
time-periods, as well as questions concerning the roles of other diseases implicated in
AIDS;
 - Promotion of exchanges of information on significant developments in each member-
State and at EU level in the development of the epidemic and related problems,
including economic issues such as the costs for statutory services and on the measures being taken in response.

6. Combating discrimination against people with HIV and AIDS and those close to them

Tasks

 - Study of the situation concerning the implementation in the member-States of the
provisions on the fight against discrimination contained in the Resolution of the Council and the Ministers of Health of the member-States of 22 December 1989, examination
and promotion of exchanges of information on the measures taken in the member-States
to avoid or alleviate discrimination;
 - Analysis at EU level of actual and potential discriminatory situations in the member-
States, notably in the fields of employment, insurance, housing, education and health
care.

Proposals can relate to part or all of any of the areas of activity described above. They
may also be submitted for more than one area of activity.

Subsidies to be awarded by the Commission as a result of this Call for Proposals will
cover only a proportion of the budget for each project. In no circumstances will a 100%
grant be awarded. As a guide, the total budget for the prevention of AIDS and other transmissible diseases in 1994 is ECU 9 million. To qualify for a subsidy, all proposals
received must first be evaluated. This evaluation will include an opinion by the advisory
committee consisting of representatives of the Member-States, as is the normal procedure
for identifying suitable proposals for funding.

Persons or organisations interested in proposing specific projects for any of the areas of
activity described in this call should request further information and an application form
from :

European Commission
Mr. G. Gouvras, DG V-F1,
Jean Monnet Building C4/74,
L-2920 LUXEMBOURG
(Fax: +352-4301.34511)