From: Hein Verkerk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 12:54:56 +0100 (MET)

The European Commission presented last november a new community action 
plan on the prevention of aids and certain other communicable disseases 
within the framework for action in the field of public health.
It is available at the European Commission's Information centres in allof 
the capitals of the EU member states
reference number COM(94) 413 final 94/02222(COD).

Under the new Union Treaty the European Parliament will have a 
considerable say in the final decisions.

The Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Consumer Protection, 
chaired by Ken Collins (UK, Lab) decided in december to have Mr.Noel 
MAMERE, (FR, Alliance Radicale Europeen/Generation Ecologique) as its 
rapporteur.

Mr. MAMERE is working on  a first draft now that will be presented 
for a first reading in Committee in the coming weeks.
The proposal of the European Commission proposes a total budget for the 
period 1995-1999 of 49.6 million ecu.
with the following sub headings:

HIV/AIDS and other communicable diseases:

Collection of epidemiological data,establishment of networks    1.4 m
Specific prevention measures(vaccination, safety of blood and
blood products)                                                11,5 m
Information and awareness raising for general public and
target groups                                                   2,7 m
Training and promotion of human resources                       8,7 m

HIV/AIDS:

Measures for children and young people                          7   m
Health and social support and assistance                        9.1 m
Measures to combat discrimination                               2.3 m

Other Communicable Diseases:

Early detection and systematic screening                        6.9 m

In the proposed text by the Commission the action programm is rather 
concrete and with some additions and clarifications it look like rather 
acceptable.  Mr. MAMERE is interested in getting comments and 
suggestions.He may be contacted through Mr. Francois Rigoud, collaborator 
for environmental and health questions of the ARE group in the EP.
++ 32 2 2842836.

I am also interested in comments and suggestions.

 -- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Hein Verkerk ([email-masked])  | ____ | Chasing prize-winning plumbers  #
# fax:  +31 20 6251849            | \  / | and catholic pets....           #
# voice:+31 20 6248186            |  \/  | (Yes they do exist !)           #
# http://www.xs4all.nl/~heinv     |      |                                 #
----------------------------------------------------------------------------