Subject: Comunidad Homosexual Argentina CHA
From: James Binder <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 92 20:00:03 PDT

/* Written  7:47 pm  Apr  9, 1992 by jbinder in cdp:queerplanet */
/* ---------- "Comunidad Homosexual Argentina CHA" ---------- */
Comunidad Homosexual Argentina (CHA)
 Legal Status Fact Sheet March 19, 1992

Compiled by the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights
Commission

April 1984 -  CHA is formed.

1989 - General Inspection of Justice (an agency of the executive
branch) denies legal capacity to CHA.  CHA appeals to Appellate
Courts.

1990 - The Appellate Courts confirm the decision of the General
Inspection of Justice.  CHA appeals to Supreme Court.

Oct. 25, 1991 - The International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights
Commission (IGLHRC) demonstrates against anti-gay persecution in
Argentina at the Argentine Consulate in San Francisco.  Demands
for legal recognition of CHA are presented.

Nov. 15 1991 - Pres. Menem speaks at the National Press Club in
Washington D.C..  ACT UP D.C. demonstrates outside of the National
Press Club, while inside a representative of the World Congress of
Gay and Lesbian Jewish Organizations hands Menem a packet of
demands in support of CHA.  A joint statement from the National
Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) and the Intl Lesbian and Gay
Association (ILGA) demanding recognition for CHA is also handed to
Menem.  Later that evening several hundred gay activists deviate
from their march against anti-gay violence by D.C. police to stop
at the Argentine embassy and protest the discrimination against
gays and lesbians in Argentina.

Nov. 19, 1991 - Menem speaks at Columbia Univ. in N.Y..  ACT UP
Americas and the Latino Gay Men of NY hold a demonstration
outside.  Inside members of the groups address questions to Menem
regarding CHA.  Menem responds that he has already arranged for
the legal status of CHA.

Nov. 25, 1991 - Supreme Ct. of Argentina rules 7-2 to uphold the
denial of legal status to CHA.

Jan. 6, 1992 - Argentinian gay man is granted political asylum in
Canada based on persecution due to sexual orientation.

February 13,1992 - Pres. Menem visits Brussels. The ILGA presents
a letter of protest to the Argentine Embassy, which was to be
handed directly to Pres.  Menem.

February 17, 1992 - Pres. Menem visits Paris.  A statement from
Project Ornicar, a Paris gay and lesbian human rights group,
demanding legal recognition for CHA greets Menem in gay Paris.

March 5, 1992 - CHA, Gays for Civil Rights, Convocatoria Lesbiana,
and the MCC Church demonstrate in Plaza De Mayo in Buenos Aires to
protest the murder of a gay man in Mendoza.

March 19, 1992 - The General Inspection of Justice passes over the
Supreme Court ruling and grants CHA legal status.