Subject: ACTION ALERT: Virginia
From: James Yorton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 22:32:00 -0600 (CST)

[ submitted by [email-masked] (Arden Hoffman) ]

** SUMMARY **

Virginia "Parental Rights" Constitutional Amendment ...

The proposed amendment to Virginia's Constitution is deceptively simple:
The right of parents to direct the upbringing and education of their
children shall be a fundamental right.

Don't be deceived - urge your State Senator to oppose this dangerous,
unnecessary and expensive Constitutional Amendment now.  Religious Right
political extremist groups like the Christian Coalition tried to trick
Colorado voters with a 'parental rights' ballot initiative in November.
Overwhelmingly, Colorado voters said 'no' to the 'parental rights'
legislation.  Here's why:

Dangerous:  The 'parental rights' proposed Constitutional Amendment will
protect child abusers by weakening laws that protect children. Extremist
parents could use this proposed change to the Virginia Constitution to
impede seriously child protection agencies and thwart the enforcement of
child protection laws.

Unnecessary:  Parents already have the right to direct the education and
upbringing of their children.  Most parents don't need this Amendment and
bad parents will abuse it.

Expensive:  The 'parental rights' proposed Constitutional Amendment will
turn our public schools into ideological battlegrounds and allow extremist
parents to sue school officials, doctors, nurses, or anyone else who works
with children - and taxpayers will have to pay for these frivolous lawsuits.

** ACTION TO TAKE **

Tell your Virginia State Senator you OPPOSE the 'parental rights'
legislation  (SJR 98) because it's dangerous, unnecessary and expensive.

1. Call the constituent comment line at 1-800-889-0229 (starting January 8).

2. Ask to leave a message for your Senator.  (An operator will ask you for
your zip code to determine who your Senator is.  The operator will record
and forward your comments.  The line is operational 7am - 7pm.)

3. Call your Senator.   The General Assembly opens on January 8 and
this dangerous legislation is headed for an early vote on the Senate floor.

For more information on this 'parental rights' legislation or the parental
rights movement, contact People For the American Way Action Fund at
1-800-326-7329 or visit us on the world wide web at www.pfaw.org.

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
_____________________________________________________________________________