Subject: Joey Stansbury withdraws anti-gay referendum
From: [email-masked] (B-GLAD)
Date: 17 Nov 1993 21:43:07 GMT
Newsgroups: soc.motss

Joey Stansbury, citing "all the harrassment [he has] received
resulting from this resolution," has withdrawn the referendum he
presented that would have forbidden funding of
gay/lesbian/bisexual/ally groups at the University of North Carolina
at Chapel Hill.

The referendum was judged unconstitutional by Susan Ehringhaus,
University attorney, yesterday.

Wendy Sarratt, speaker of Congress, said she felt that Stansbury
withdrew the bill because "he faced a real possibility of Honor Court
charges if he pushed it through."

Trey Harris, co-chairman of Bisexuals, Gay men, Lesbians and Allies
for Diversity, said that he had drawn up charges against Stansbury.
"He was clearly in violation of Section O of the Honor Code."  This
section prohibits students from "engaging in conduct intended
to...withhold University facilities or funding...because of race,
sex, sexual preference, veteran status or handicap."

Harris said he was not pleased by Stansbury's withdrawel of the bill.
"He does things like this, again and again, knowing he has no chance
of winning, and then he withdraws them at the last minute.  He's just
milking them for publicity.  Maybe he should start trying to do his
job as a congressman instead."

Stansbury has previously this semester put bills before the Student
Congress against the free-standing Black Cultural Center and against
groups that "advocate or promote" abortion.

The Rules and Judiciary Committee and the Student Affairs Committee
have cancelled their hearings tonight because they now have no
business before them.  The Finance Committee will still meet to
discuss the funding for the Phoenix newsmagazine.
----
B-GLAD is Bisexuals, Gay men, Lesbians and Allies for Diversity, a
student organization of UNC-Chapel Hill.  Interested in being on our
electronic mailing list?  Mail [email-masked].