From: Kevyn D Jacobs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 1994 22:05:36 -0500 (CDT)

>From Doug Glaze <[email-masked]>

   I just got my copy of the Sept. issue of the "Kansas Citizen",
a newsletter of the Kansas Family Research Institute in Wichita,
an affiliate of Focus on the Family. Enclosed is the text of an
article describing who they are and what they do; even without
"reading between the lines" you can see how scary they are. They
are particularly well-funded and have many prominent conservative
lawyers working for them, some of them active in active in
anti-Gay activities in Wichita before, like the Kahrs brothers,
who worked for years to de-fund campus Lesbian and Gay student
groups. Please distribute to the EKS list if you feel it is
appropriate under FYI: KNOW THE ENEMY.

 Thanks, Doug

    **********

    Who We Are and What We Do.

    Over the last couple of years, Kansas Family Research
Institute has had the opportunity to share with the readers of
Kansas Citizen a little about who we are and what we do. 
However, we've never shared with you the "big picture" of what
Kansas Family Research Institute is all about.

    In this issue of Kansas Citizen, we have provided a broad
overview of many of the activities that we are involved in
throughout the course of a year.  It is our hope that this list
will give you a better idea of how we seek to promote biblical
values in our state, and how we can be of service to you.

    Kansas Citizen:

    Kansas Citizen is our four page monthly insert in Focus on
the Family's national Citizen magazine. Kansas Citizen follows
statewide current events and gives readers ideas on how they can
make a difference in their communities.  Citizen memberships are
available through Focus on the Family and/or Kansas Family
Research Institute for a suggested donation of $20.

    Weekly Memos:

    The weekly memo, by Kansas Family Research Institute's
Executive Director, David Payne, provides up to date "behind the
scenes" information regarding timely issues and events ranging
from activities of the Kansas Legislature and Kansas politics to
"inside information" regarding Kansas Family Research Institute. 
(Please inquire about a subscription.)

    Research Reports:

    By distributing quality research reports and other data on
issues ranging from teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted
diseases (see Teens in Jeopardy report), education reform (see
forthcoming report in Citizen's November edition), health care,
school curricula, and homosexuality, we are to impact decision
makers in our sate in find workable solutions that are friendly
to Kansas families.

    Voter's Guides:

    During the campaign season, Kansas Family Research Institute
conducts nonpartisan surveys on candidates running for federal
and statewide offices as well as those running for state
legislature and state board of education.  We publish the results
of these surveys in the October edition of Citizen magazine and
supply thousands of copies to churches and community
organizations.  If you are interested in assisting us in the    
distribution of our 1994 Voter's Guide or would like a copy,
please call 316.722.3444.

    (KFRI has boasted in the past that it will distribute this
guide to over 250,000 Kansas homes in October. Doug)

    Seminars and Campaigns:

    Kansas Family Research Institute hosts and conducts various
seminars and educational campaigns throughout the state.  Earlier
this year we sponsored a one day seminar in Wichita for dads
called "Father's Day Every Day." This coming November please look
for our statewide "Fatherhood Campaign," in commemoration of
Kansas Family Day. In addition, we have hosted two Focus on the
Family Community Impact Seminars and have one more scheduled for
the fall in Kansas City.  We are also working with other
profamily groups in conducting a special workshop for freshman
lawmakers in the Kansas legislature.

    Media Interviews:

    Issues that affect Kansas families have brought national and
statewide media attention to Kansas Family Research Institute. 
Focus on the Family's Family News in Focus daily radio program,
and many Kansas media outlets have interviewed Kansas Family
Research Institute's Executive Director David Payne.  By
providing professionally researched information through news
releases, radio talk shows, and other interviews, Kansas Family
Research Institute provides a distinctly profamily perspective on
issues of importance to Kansans. 

    Community Impact Committees:

    Working in conjunction with Focus on the Family, we are
helping laymen in churches establish committees to educate and
motivate church members regarding the issues of our day.  Kansas
Family Research Institute has established a statewide Community
Impact Network encompassing these committees in an effort to help
disseminate information and establish communication links between
CIC's across Kansas.  These committees receive regular mailings
with help on how to set up an effective CIC as well as
information on current issues.  The committee then sets about the
task of keeping the congregation informed on these current issues
and motivated to act.

    Speaking Engagements:

    Kansas Family Research Institute staff conducts several
speaking engagements each quarter.  These include presentations
to churches, civic groups, and special events across the state. 
If you are interested in having a representative from Kansas
Family Research Institute speak before a group or at a special
event please contact our offices.

    Government Relations:

    During sessions of the Kansas legislature we monitor various
bills to determine the legislation's potential impact on the
family. We connect them with profamily experts who can assist
them with committee testimony, drafting of legislation, and
advice on the impact of legislation.  Most importantly, we help
provide model legislation designed to promote and strengthen the
family.

    Tracking Issues and Activating People:

    Kansas Family Research Institute is a clearinghouse for
information on fastbreaking issues.  We learn about state and
federal legislation, changes in public policies, and threats to
traditional values. Dissemination of this information through our
Legislative Alerts prompts immediate action.

    Advisory Councils:

    Kansas Family Research Institute has formed Advisory Councils
to assist in supporting statewide profamily initiatives.  Our
Education and Legal Advisory Councils have assisted in conducting
and critiquing research, giving expert testimony before
legislative committees, and speaking to community organizations. 
We anticipate creating a Physicians Advisory Council later this
year.

    "Friends of the Family" Annual Event:

    Every fall Kansas Family Research Institute hosts its annual
Friends of the Family Event by inviting to Wichita a nationally
known figure to speak. The annual fundraising event gives Kansas
Family Research Institute an opportunity to meet with old friends
and make new acquaintances.  Gary Bauer will be speaking at this
year's annual event in Wichita on Oct. 6 at the Olive Tree
Restaurant.

    Consultation and Information:

    An ever expanding variety of problems and concerns come to
us from people all over Kansas and even other parts of the
nation.  Some individuals simply do not know who else to call. 
Our staff offers advice and information for all inquiries made to
our office.  We are able to help most people directly, and
sometimes refer individuals to other organizations in Kansas or
outside the state.  Our staff is on call to help every weekday.

    If you have questions or need more information about Kansas
Family Research Institute, please contact us either by phone, fax
or correspondence.  Our phone number in Wichita is
316.722.3444 and our fax is 316.722.3944.  Send correspondence
to:  
      Kansas Family Research Institute,
      2250 N. Rock Road
      Suite 118224,
      Wichita, KS 
      67226.