From: Bob Summersgill <[email-masked]>

Lesbian Avengers Press Release

"Queer Skate-In" to Protest Homophobic Policies of Skating Rink

August 20th Action Follows Harassment of
Lesbians Who Participated in "Couples-Only" Skating

Washington, D.C., AUGUST 17 - Lesbian Avengers/DC is organizing a
"Queer Skate-In" at the Franconia Skating Rink on Friday, August 20th.
The purpose of the event is to draw attention to the skating rink's
homophobic policy and the legislative vacuum that allows it to stand.
Proud queers will arrive at the rink at approximately 7pm to "shoot the duck"
and "couple skate" proudly and peacefully.

On August 6th, four lesbians were ejected from the Franconia Skating Rink
in Fairfax County, Virginia, when two of them chose to hold hands during
a time reserved for "couples."  When skating rink management summoned the
Fairfax County Police, a crowd of young patrons gathered to voice their
support for the lesbians and question the management's action.  One of
these young skaters--a 14-year-old girl--was arrested and later released
to her parents.  Carla Uriona, a member of Lesbian Avengers/DC and a longtime
resident of Fairfax County, said, "As long as incidents like this are allowed
to stand, residents of Fairfax County should not be surprised if they are seen
as a bunch of backward, ignorant homophobes.  Are they ready to face the
fustrated anger of the militant Queer movement?"

In the wake of this highly-publicized incident, Franconia Skating Rink
employees have refused to comment on their "heterosexual couples only" policy.
Rink patrons, both gay and straight, have been cut off, hung up on, insulted,
and met with increasing hostility by all staff at the rink.  Managers have
refused to identify themselves and no one will explain any rules about
appropriate conduct at the rink.  When questioned over the telephone, one
staff member, Nora Gutlich, stated "You come in, you skate, you find out
what the rules are," and hung up on the caller.

Police officials have warned that gay patrons have no legal recourse against
the rink because sexual orientation is not included in the county's human
rights ordinance.  Overt discrimination against gay men and lesbians is alive,
well, and legal in Fairfax County.