Subject: Mormon Doctrine On homosexuality
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 14:24:47 -0400

A seven page article on same-gender attraction appears in the October 1995
issue of a monthly Mormon publication, ENSIGN. The seven page article,
apparently aimed at clarifying Mormon (LDS: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter
Day Saints) doctrine on homosexuality, was written by Elder Dallin H. Oaks,
of the church's Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, which places Oaks among the
top 15 Mormon leaders. It's very likely that Oaks was directed by the First
Presidency of the church to address and clarify Mormon doctrine on the issue.

According to the article, it is Mormon doctrine that:
1) Gender was an essential characteristic of our existence prior to our
birth,
2) "The words homosexual, lesbian and gay are adjectives . . . we should
refrain from using these words as nouns," because to do so denotes, "a
CONDITION, . . . a circumstance in which (a person) has no choice in respect
to the critically important matter of sexual BEHAVIOR." (emphasis theirs)
3) "Once we have reached the age or condition of accountability, the claim,
'I was born that way' does not excuse actions or thoughts that fail to
conform to the commandments of God."
4)"Sexual relations are proper only between husband and wife appropriately
expressed within the bonds of marriage.  Any other sexual contact, including
fornication, adultery and homosexual and lesbian behavior, is sinful."
5)  Persons cannot continue to engage in serious sin and remain members of
the Church.  And discipline can be given for encouraging sin by others.
6) referring to homosexuals, ". . .A person engaging in that kind of behavior
should well feel guilt.  They should well feel themselves estranged from God,
who has given commandments against that kind of behavior.
7) ". . . Church leaders and members cannot avoid their responsibility to
teach correct principles and righteous behavior (on all subjects), even if
this causes discomfort to some."

On the positive side, Oaks did make sure to include early in the article,
that  
8) "Our doctrines obviously condemn those who engage in so-called "gay
bashing" - physical or verbal attacks on persons thought to be involved in
homosexual or lesbian behavior." and 
9) "We should extend compassion to persons who suffer from ill health,
including those who are infected with HIV or who are ill with AIDS (who may
or may not have acquired their condition from sexual relations.) We should
encourage such persons to participate in the activities of the Church."

I will be happy to send the full text of the article (WARNING, it's seven
pages) to anyone who requests it.
Kathy