Subject: New Lesbian and Gay Catholic Helpline
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 10:55:44 -0500 (EST)

Dignity/NY Linkline

1/11/1995
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Paul Halsall (718) 932-6609

NEW YORK GAY & LESBIAN CATHOLICS BEGIN TELEPHONE HOTLINE

CONCERNED TO REACH LESBIAN, GAY AND QUESTIONING CATHOLICS OF ALL AGES, 
DIGNITY/NEW YORK SETS UP SUPPORT AND INFORMATION SERVICE

	New York, NY - Dignity/New York, an organization of lesbian 
and gay Catholics, announced the creation of a telephone hotline 
[212-620 0369], called LINKLINE,  to reach out to gays and lesbians 
buffeted by the attacks of Church leaders, right-wing politicians 
and unsympathetic families.

	The hotline, based in a Greenwich Village office, will be 
staffed three evenings a week by trained volunteers. Volunteers will 
be willing to talk about any issue callers raise, but will be 
especially willing to discuss spiritual and religious issues. Paul 
Halsall, Dignity LINKLINE Coordinator said, "Other telephone helplines 
do a wonderful job, but are not oriented to spiritual and 
religious issues. As lesbian and gay Catholics, we believe that 
there is no conflict between spirituality and homo- or bisexuality. 
Our goal is to offer an ear to callers who want to discuss these issues."

	Following Vatican attacks on lesbians and gays in the late 
1980s, Dignity/New York has seen a resurgence in numbers and spirit 
in recent years. Dignity, whose members are already enagaged in a 
number of support programs for people with AIDS, is one of the more 
active Catholic faith communities in the New York area.  Dignity has 
also staged many peaceful demonstrations outside St. Patrick's 
Cathedral, after the group was forbidden to worship in Roman 
Catholic churches by Cardinal O'Connor in 1987.  
	
	Jeff Stone, Dignity/Northeast Regional Director, said "The 
LINKLINE represents an important new service to the many thousands 
of gay and lesbian Roman Catholics in the New York City area and 
beyond. As far as I know, it is the only Catholic gay helpline in the 
country and could serve as a model for some of the other 85 Dignity 
chapters around the nation. Dignity - the largest group of gay and 
lesbian Catholics in the United States - is the major organization 
that gay and lesbian Catholics can count on to consistently and 
openly challenge official Vatican teaching on the subject of homo-
sexuality, and to affirm that their sexuality is a gift from God."

	LINKLINE will be open Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, 
7pm to 11pm. All calls will be kept completely confidential. Support 
to callers will be non-directive in nature, and volunteer staff will 
have a full array of information to refer callers elsewhere if needed. 
Callers from all backrounds are welcome, and referrals will be available 
to other faith communities. The service commences on Monday 16 January 1995.

--END--

Dignity/New York, Box 1554, New York, NY 10150 (212) 866-8047

Dignity is organized to unite gay and lesbian Catholics and their friends, to 
develop leadership and to be an instrument through which we may be heard 
by the Church and society.