Subject: ASA resolutions on Cameron
From: GREG HEREK

In 1985, the American Sociological Association adopted a resolution which
included the assertion the following:  "WHEREAS Dr. Paul Cameron has
consistently misinterpreted and misrepresented sociological research on
sexuality, homosexuality, and lesbianism; WHEREAS Dr. Paul Cameron has
repeatedly campaigned for the abrogation of the civil rights of lesbians and
gay men, substantiating his call on the basis of his distorted interpretation
of this research."  The resolution formally charged an ASA committee with the
task of "critically evaluating and publicly responding to the work of Dr. Paul
Cameron."  [SOURCE: "Sociology group criticizes work of Paul Cameron,"
September 10, 1985.  Lincoln (NE) Journal Star, page 1, col. 1.]  At its
August, 1986 meeting, the ASA officially accepted the committee's report and
passed a resolution which stated, in part, "The American Sociological
Association officially and publicly states that Paul Cameron is not a
sociologist, and condemns his consistent misrepresentation of sociological
research."   [The final resolution and the committee report were published in
ASA Footnotes, February, 1987, page 14.  Available from the American
Sociological Association, Committee on the Status of Homosexuals in Sociology,
1722 N Street, NW, Washington DC 20036. (202) 833- 3410.]

Text of Resolution by the American Sociological Association

(Passed by the ASA Council at its August, 1986 meeting in New York)

"The American Sociological Association officially and publicly states that
Paul Cameron is not a sociologist, and condemns his consistent
misrepresentation of sociological research.  Information on this action and a
copy of the report by the Committee on the Status of Homosexuals in Sociology,
"The Paul Cameron Case," is to be published in Footnotes, and be sent to the
officers of all regional and state sociological associations and to the
Canadian Sociological Association with a request that they alert their members
to Cameron's frequent lecture and media appearances."