Subject: Lou Sheldon's Action to Restore Discrimination in Califonia
From: [email-masked] (Bryan J. Blumberg)
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 15:06:57 -0800

Governor's Action Infringes on Religious Liberties

>From the "California Voter's Guide"
Published by the Traditional Values Coalition.

     The State Labor Board, under Governor Wilson's instructions, is 
enforcing an interpretation of Labor Codes 1101 and 1102 which, in 
effect, grant superior rights to homosexuals.  What makes this even 
worse is that all church employees are subject to the labor code, only 
the pastor is exempted.

     Labor Codes 1101 and 1102 prohibit an employer from discriminating 
against their employees for engaging in political activities, running 
for public office, or promoting a political cause.  Violation of the 
Labor Code is a criminal offense.

     In 1983, then-Attorney General John Van de Kamp issued a non-
binding opinion that homosexuality itself is a political activity and 
thus covered under Labor Codes 1101 and 1102.  This opinion was rejected 
by the Labor Commission under former Governor George Deukmejian.

     In the veto message of AB 101 (the bill that would have granted 
minority status on the basis of homosexual behavior), Governor Wilson 
cited the twisted legal opinion of former Attorney General Van de Kamp 
to justify his veto.  In doing so he effectively gave an executive order 
to the Labor Commission telling them to prosecute any cases of 
discrimination based on sexual orientation under labor Codes 1101 and 
1102.

     Previously, the Labor Commission had not been using Van de Kamp's 
opinion.  After reading the veto message the Labor Commissioner saw that 
the Labor Commission was not acting in accordance with the philosophy of 
Governor Wilson (their boss) and therefore had to change their policy to 
be in line with his desires.  Thus, they had to implement Van de Kamp's 
legal opinion.

     Before the Governor's action, Labor Codes 1101 and 1102 gave equal 
protection to all persons as individuals and no particular 
classification was specifically listed.  Now, however, sexual 
orientation is the only listed classification and therefore has superior 
rights over all individuals.

ACTION ALERT:  Call Governor Wilson's Office and politely ask him to 
stop the Labor Commission from investigating complaints based solely on 
homosexuality.  Homosexuality, by itself, should not be equated with 
political activity.  As that the Labor commission be directed to return 
to it's prior interpretation of Labor Codes 1101 & 1102.  Governor 
Wilson's number, (916) 445-2841; Bob White, Chief of Staff, (916) 445-
9947.  The address is:  Gov. Wilson, State Capitol, Sacramento, CA   
95814.

========================================
Bryan  J. Blumberg, The MacNeal-Schwendler Corporation
815 Colorado Boulevard, Los Angeles, California  90041-1777
(213) 259-4914, [email-masked]