Subject: Lobbying Guidelines for Churches
From: [email-masked] (Bryan J. Blumberg)
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1992 15:06:07 -0800

Facts and Guidelines for Churches and Pastors

>From the "California Voter's Guide"
Published by the Traditional Values Coalition.

PASTORS CAN

*  As an individual, endorse candidates from the pulpit.

CHURCHES CAN

*  Conduct non-partisan voter registration drives.
*  Distribute non-partisan voter guides and candidate surveys.
*  Establish issues awareness committees, meetings and mailings
   to education members on specific issues or pending legislation.
*  Encourage prayer for a particular issue or official.
*  Expend up to five percent of their total expenditures on
   direct lobbying or make contributions to individuals or
   groups for the purpose of supporting or opposing specific
   legislation.
*  Host candidate forums if all candidates are invited.
*  Rent their mailing list to a candidate (at market value).
*  Invite a candidate to attend a meeting (including church
   services) provided that opposing candidates are given the
   same opportunity should they request it.

CHURCHES CANNOT

*  Endorse a political candidate.
*  Make contributions to a political candidate.
*  Participate in fundrasing endeavors for a political candidate.
*  Distribute political materials for a candidate.
*  Pay to attend a caucus for a state or national political convention.
*  Donate their mailing list to a candidate or party.

========================================
Bryan  J. Blumberg, The MacNeal-Schwendler Corporation
815 Colorado Boulevard, Los Angeles, California  90041-1777
(213) 259-4914, [email-masked]