*********************************************************************

*AUDRE* *LORDE*, 58 ACCLAIMED FEMINIST POET
Boston Globe (BG) - THURSDAY, November 19, 1992
By: Associated Press
Edition: THIRD  Section: OBITUARY  Page: 57
Word Count: 238

TEXT:
CHRISTIANSTED,  St. Croix - *Audre* *Lorde*, a feminist poet who challenged
racial  and  sexual  stereotypes,  died Tuesday after a 14-year battle with
cancer. She was 58.

   Ms.  Lorde,  New  York  state's  poet  laureate, died at her home in the
Judith's Fancy section of St. Croix.

    She  had  lived  for  the past seven years on the island, where she was
known  by  an  African  name,  Gamba  Adisa,  reflective of her advocacy of
pan-African issues.

   Ms.  Lorde  was  born  in  New York and graduated from Hunter College in
1959.  She began working as a librarian in Mount Vernon, a New York suburb,
as she developed her writing style.
   She  wrote of racial discrimination in books of poetry and autobiography
such  as "Cables to Rage" (1970), "Coal" (1976), "The Black Unicorn" (1978)
and "Zami: A New Spelling of My Name (1983)."

   Her  1973  poetry collection, "From a Land Where Other People Live," was
nominated for a National Book Award.

   In  1980  she  published  "The  Cancer  Journals," chronicling the first
stages of breast cancer.

   "As  a contributor to women's literature, her influence was monumental,"
said  Karin  Powis,  a  member of the collective that runs Judith's Room, a
feminist bookstore in New York's Greenwich Village, where Ms. Lorde offered
readings. "There will never be someone just like her."

  She  was  a member of the board of directors of the Feminist Press in New
York City and had founded Women of Color Press.

AA0642;11/18         CORCOR;11/19,19:32    LORDE19