Subject: Legal Stuf
From: Sam Damon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 1994 03:10:02 -0400 (edt)

> Date: Thu, 13 Oct 1994 23:18:42 -0500 (CDT)
> From: William Sawyer Grant <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Legal Stuff
>
> 	I have a question.  What legal resources do we have as a 
> community?  I know there are a few lesbigay legal guides out, but is 
> there a good source to find out where to look?  Any organizations we can 
> contact?  As a first year law student, I would really like to know...

Your best bet are these two organizations:

Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund (founded 1973)
666 Broadway, New York, NY  10012   212-955-8585
With offices in NYC, Los Angeles and Chicago, this is the premiere legal
organization for gay issues.  I believe most of their cases are taken pro
bono, and they;ve been a leader in setting legal precedents for the gay
community.  They publish an excellent quarterly newsletter (it's so think
that "booklet" would be a more appropriate description) summarizing all
pending cases.  The group also publishes many legal guides, some free and
others available for low cost.  A low donation wil get you their newsletter
free.  Students pay only $15/yr (or is it $25?).

American Civil Liberties Union/Lesbian & Gay Rights Project (founded 1986)
132 West 43rd St, New York, NY 10036   212-944-9800 ext 545
Along with Lambda, their name often shows up on cases on the side of our
community.  Although I only know about the ACLU and not the Project
specifically, I do know from their newletters that they are knowledgeable
about the legal resources available.  Giving them a call may get you the
list you want.

These resources may also prove helpful:

Gay & Lesbian Advocates and Defenders (founded 1978)
PO Box 218, Boston, MA 02112   617-426-1350

Lesbian Mothers National Defense Fund (founded 1974)
PO Box 21567, Seattle, WA 98111   206-325-2643

National Center for Lesbian Rights  (founded 1979, went national 1989)
1663 Mission St  5th Fl, San Francisco, CA  94103   415-621-0674

Lesbian  And Gay Law Association of Greater New York
Box 1899, Grand Central Station  212-459-4873
LeGal-GNY is the professional association for gay and lesbian attorneys, law
students and legal workers in the Greater New York area.

I've also seen some good books at A Different Light, a lesbigay bookstore. 
Deacon, founder of Lambda Rising, can no doubt recommend some good ones to
you.  You can call both A Different Light and Lambda Rising via their
800-numbers.