Subject: Clinton Condemns Anti-gays
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 14:33:01 EST

PFLAG: Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians & Gays

                Celebrating Real Family Values 

				Contact: George Neighbors, Jr.
				202-638-4200
							
                          Press Release

             Clinton Condemns Anti-Gay Initiatives:
              Families Call for Local Leadership  

February 15, 1994 --  Washington, DC -- President Clinton responded to a
request from six gay and lesbian civil rights organizations to openly oppose
the anti-gay initiatives set for this November in over 11 states.

Clinton, in a letter dated February 14, 1994, stated:

All people must enjoy the opportunity to be judged on their merits... Those
who would legalize discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation... are
gravely mistaken about the values that make our nation strong...  You have
demonstrated through your actions and your diverse membership that this is
not an issue of "special rights" for any one group.  This is a battle to
protect the human rights of every individual.

Sandra Gillis, a co-signatory of the letter to Clinton and executive director
of PFLAG, Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians & Gays, a family
organization dedicated to publicly and privately supporting gays, lesbians
and their families, responded by saying, "We are delighted that President
Clinton has demonstrated leadership in speaking out on the injustices
perpetrated against our children.  This is indeed a necessary and welcome
step in the struggle to unite our families and friends in support of equal
rights for our gay and lesbian loved ones.  We hope that through Clinton's
example others will find the strength and courage to come forth and defend
justice and equality for all people."

PFLAG will continue to provide support and education to its over 340
grassroots affiliates who are fighting the ballot measures on the front lines
in their own communities.
                             - 30 -

    PFLAG: PARENTS, FAMILIES AND FRIENDS OF LESBIANS AND GAYS
     1012  14th Street, NW  Suite 700, Washington, DC  20005
(202)-638-4200    Fax: (202)-638-0243   E-mail: [email-masked]