From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 May 94 23:25:57 EDT

Resources and Services for People with HIV/AIDS offered during New York
EventsMay 25, 1994

                   Stonewall 25 HIV/AIDS Advisory Committee
                  Gay Games IV/Unity '94 HIV/AIDS Task Force
                   International Lesbian and Gay Association

Enclosed here is basic information about the events taking place in New
York in June as well as pertinent information for people with HIV/AIDS.
Please make copies of this information and distribute as needed.

                           DATES OF MAJOR EVENTS

*** Gay Games IV / Unity '94 and Cultural Festival
	Saturday June 18 through Saturday June 25, 1994
	+1-212/633-9494
	Outreach Coordinator - George Bellinger, Jr.
	HIV/AIDS Task Force Chair - Ann Northrop

*** Stonewall 25: The International March on the United Nation to Affirm the
	Human Rights of Lesbian and Gay People

	Sunday June 26, 1994 - 212/626-6925, (Note: The International
		March takes the place of the New York's traditional Lesbian and
		Gay Pride March)
	Domestic Outreach Coordinator - Paij Wadley-Bailey
	HIV/AIDS Advisory Committee - Hubert Alexander, Todd Grove

*** ILGA - The International Lesbian and Gay Association World Conference
	Friday June 25 through Sunday July 3, 1994
	+1-212/620-7310
	Day-long Pre-Conference Institutes and the 15th Annual World
	Conference of the International Lesbian and Gay Association -
	Co-Chair - Rina Malonzo

These three events serve as the cornerstones for many other lesbian,
gay, bisexual and transgender events and conferences -- all happening
during June and July 1994 in New York.  Stonewall 25 is maintaining a
Global Calendar of events.

GAY GAMES IV/UNITY '94
	Gay Games IV is an athletic event and cultural festival open to
all. The theme and spirit is Unity, and the participants are encouraged
to achieve their personal best.  During June 18 to 25, 1994, Gay Games
IV and Cultural Festival ("Unity '94") expects a record 15,000 athletes
and thousands of artists from over 40 countries, and an unprecedented
500,000 spectators.

For more information contact Gay Games IV, 19 West 21st Street, Suite
1202, New York, NY 10010, 212/727-6046 or 212/633-9494, fax: 212/633-9488

ILGA WORLD CONFERENCE
	The International Lesbian and Gay Association (ILGA) is a
worldwide federation of national and local organizations dedicated to
achieving lesbian and gay rights around the globe with over 300 member
groups representing over 60 countries. The 16th Annual ILGA World
Conference will take place in New York City this June. For the first
time, the ILGA Conference will offer four day long pre conferences:
Disabled People's, Women's, People of Color and Diversity Awareness.
In addition, the conference will tracks on HIV/AIDS and Health, Women,
Labor, World Regions, Bisexuality, Youth and more.

For more information, contact ILGA, c/o The Lesbian and Gay Community
Services Center, 208 West 13th Street, New York City, NY 10011,
212/620-7310, fax: 212/924-2657.

STONEWALL 25
               The International March on the United Nations
           to Affirm the Human Rights of Lesbian and Gay People

     "...recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and
inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation
of freedom, justice and peace in the world,"
                    (Preamble to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights)

	The Stonewall Rebellion is the event credited with igniting
today's Lesbian, Gay Bisexual and Transgender Human Rights Movement. On
Sunday, June 26, 1994 over one million people will march on the United
Nations commemorating this historic event. Stonewall 25:  the
International March on the United Nations to Affirm the Human Rights of
Lesbian and Gay People promises to be the largest March and Rally for
human rights in history. Participants are expected from over 80
countries.

	The events being planned include: Saturday, June 25, 1994 -
Commemoration of the Stonewall Rebellion, Sunday, June 26, 1994 - The
March on the United Nations and Rally in Central Park, (Note: The
International March takes the place of the New York's traditional
Lesbian and Gay Pride March),Thursday, June 23, 1994 through Tuesday,
June 28, 1994 - Actions and Lobbying.

	There will also be an international grouping of People with
AIDS in the March with transportation provided for those who need it.
At the Rally in Central Park there will be an Access area in front of
the stage.

	For more information, to offer services or to be a part of the
lobbying efforts, contact Stonewall 25, P. O. Box 2038, New York, NY
10113,  +1-212/626-6925, fax: +1-212/626-6965.

      ******************************************************************

STONEWALL 25 & GAY GAMES IV - HIV/AIDS RESOURCES AND SERVICES

Resource Guide for New York City and surrounding areas
     The HIV/AIDS committees are preparing an insert for the Summer
edition of the People with AIDS Coalition / New York (PWAC/NY) Resource
Guide. The guide will be available throughout New York City.  To obtain
a copy in advance, contact the Stonewall 25 office at 212-626-6925.

Resource/Hospitality  Center (PWA Central)
     There will be a Resource Hospitality Center in Greenwich Village. The
space will be hosted by PWAC/NY and Body Positive.

Non Emergency Medical Center
     Community Health Project (CHP) located in the Center will be
having extended clinic hours.  CHP is located in the Center at 208 West
13th Street, New York, NY.  212/675-3559 (Note: CHP is not wheel-chair
accessible.)

Emergency Medical Care information
     Emergency care and clinic hours will be available at Saint
Vincent's Hospital on 7th Avenue and 12th Street. The hospital will
also be available to fill prescriptions.

Medications & Supplies Sources and Replacement
     Medications can be mailed to CHP, 208 West 13th Street, New York,
NY, 212/675-3559, PWAC/NY, 50 West 17th Street, 8th floor, New York, NY
10011, 212/647-1415, or PWA Health Group, at 150 W. 26th Street, Room
201, New York, NY 10001, 212/255-0520.

Hotlines
     PWAC/NY will be offering expanded hotline hours from June 17 to
July 3, 1994. The expanded hours are 8:00 am to 12 midnight.  (There
will be a recording of pertinent information during off hours.) Call
212/647-1420 or 800-828-3280.

     The Gay Men's Health Crisis (GMHC) hotline number is 212/807-6655
and operates 10:00 am to 6:00 pm with Spanish speaking volunteers
available.

Scholarship Program
     Contact George Bellinger, Jr. at the Gay Games IV Office, 212-727-6046
or Kari Points at the Stonewall 25 Host Committee office 212-741-0132.

Legal Services for International Travel
     Usually, United States law says that persons with HIV or AIDS and
persons who are so poor they are likely to try to stay in the U.S., may
not enter the U.S. The I.N.S has made an exception to the "HIV
exclusion" rule by providing a waiver for people travelling to the U.S.
for Gay Games. People traveling to the U.S. may apply for the waiver at
the consulate of their country. Each person will be asked to show proof
of intent to attend the Gay Games in New York between June 17 and 25,
and prove that his or her visit is for ten days or less.  Proof of this
could include Gay Games tickets, round trip airline tickets, Gay Games
brochures, and the statements that are made.

     A legal team from the Lesbian, Gay Bisexual Rights Committee of
the National Lawyers Guild has been formed to assist entry into the
U.S. The Committee is also organizing criminal defense attorneys for
Stonewall 25 direct action activities. Contact Karen Moulding, NLG
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Rights Committee, 718-797-4441. Immigration and
criminal defense attorneys will be on call  throughout the month of
June.

For general advice, emergencies and referrals, contact:
	Bob Hilliard, 212-337-1944, Ignatius Bau, 415-543-9444, ext 213,
NLG Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Rights Committee, 718-797-4441, NLG Immigration
Project, +1-617-227-9727, fax: +1-617-227-5495

Event Access/Admission Information 
     A limited number of complimentary tickets are available for Gay
Games IV and Stonewall 25 events. Call each office for details.
Additional tickets will be available through a group of HIV/AIDS
organizations. Call Jeff Haskins at the Minority AIDS Task Force at
212/534-8340 for details.  (Note: Many events in New York during this
period are sponsored by independent organizations. Contact these
organizations for ticket and access information.)

     Check with Gay Games IV and Stonewall 25 for the accessibility of
each venue.

      ******************************************************************

                                 NEW YORK CITY

Getting there:
     Air - NYC is served by three airports: John F. Kennedy
International (Queens), LaGuardia (Queens) and Newark International
(Newark, NJ). If you arrive in Newark, express buses are available that
stop at the Port Authority Bus Terminal at 42nd Street & 8th Avenue.
The fare is $7 one-way and $12 round-trip. JFK and LaGuardia  are
served by Carey Buses.  Call 212/564- 8484 for bus information. (Note:
If anyone except a red cap offers to help with, REFUSE!

     Train - Amtrak and Long Island Railroad run in and out of
Pennsylvania Station, which is located between 7th and 8th Avenues and
31st and 32nd Streets  Metro North runs in and out of Grand Central
Station which is on 42nd Avenue at Lexington.

     Bus - All Greyhound buses pull in and out of the Port Authority Bus
Terminal at 42nd Street & 8th Avenue.

Where to stay:
     Hotel rooms are still available through STB Travel at 800-216-1880
and Pride Tours at 1-800-368-8412. (New York prices are steep. Room
rates start at $132 per night, but you can be better deals by shopping
around. Plan ahead!)

Getting around:
     Streets - While in New York, remember to distinguish between
"Streets" and "Avenues." Streets run East and West. Avenues run North
and South. The street numbers get higher as you move uptown or north.
East and West  streets are separated by 5th Avenue.  Street numbers
increase as you move away from 5th Avenue.

     Taxis - For the ride of a lifetime, be sure to take a ride in on
of New York's famous and plentiful taxi cabs. Taxi fare is $1.50 for a
pick up and 25 for each additional four blocks or 75 seconds of
standing time. Tips are expected (the average tip is about 20% of the
total cost).  Additional costs may include a $0.50 per fare surcharge
between the hours of 8:00 pm and 6:00 am and/or a $0.50 per suitcase
charge. There is additional charge of 50 (NOTE: The taxi fare shown is
the entire fare. There are no additional charges for extra passengers.)
Taxis are not required to accept more than four passengers.

     To catch a taxi, stand on any curb and wave your arm at a yellow
cab.  For your safety, only take yellow cabs!

     Subways - The New York City subway system is open 24 hours a day.
All rides of any length are $1.25. Buy tokens ahead of time and in bulk
(there is no discount for bulk purchases). In Manhattan, check station
sign for "Uptown" or "Downtown" before entering the station. Be alert,
aware and watch your belongings. As in any major city, try and not
travel alone late at night.  Discount rates are available for senior
citizens and the physically challenged. Very few stations are
accessible to wheelchairs and those few are not well maintained. The
bus system is a better alternative for wheel chair travel. The transit
system has a dedicated phone line for accessible service at
718/596-8585 from 6:00 am to 9:00 pm daily. For up-to-date status of
elevator and escalator operation call the 24 hour Accessibility Hotline
as 800/734-6772.

     Buses - $1.25 in change or a token. Buses are slower, but safer
than subways. All Manhattan buses are wheel-chair accessible. 80% to
90% of the buses in the other four boroughs. For New York City Transit
Authority (NYCTA) travel information call 718/330-1234 (6:00 am to 9:00
pm). For Non-English speaking customers call 718/330-4847 (7:00 am to
7:00 pm).

Medication
     What to bring: Be sure to carry the medications what you usually
take in more than sufficient quantity for the trip.

Sending ahead:
	PWAC/NY - People with AIDS Coalition/New York, 50 West 17th Street,
8th floor, New York, NY 10011, 212/647-1415
	CHP - Community Health Project, 208 West 13th Street, New York, NY,
+1-212/675-3559
	PWA Health Group, 150 W. 26th Street, Room 201, New York, NY 10001,
+1-212/255-0520.

      ******************************************************************

                     Sporting Events, Marches and Rallies

     PWAs and People with Disabilities who are planning to attend Gay
Games sporting events, participate in the Stonewall 25 March on the
United Nations and the Rally should plan to bring the following
supplies:
     - Bottle of drinking water
     - Food
     - Hearing aid batteries (if needed)
     - Medication (clearly marked with note stating time to take it)
     - Sunglasses
     - Sunscreen
     - Toilet Paper
     - Jacket or sweater, warm pants, socks, gloves and hat
     - Washcloth in a sealed plastic bag
     - Hats and umbrellas (bonnets and parasols)
     - Quarters

RELATED EVENTS

The Rainbow Roll for the End of AIDS, April 29 through June 17, 1994.
	Homecoming Rally June 17 at Hotel Pennsylvania at 7th Avenue
	and 32nd Street - 212/592-3683. The Rainbow Roll is a national
	AIDS awareness and fundraising campaign which involves a cross
	country in-line skating relay from San Francisco to New York.
	AIDS organizations are invited to set up tables at this event
	and distribute AIDS prevention and education literature and
	materials.

16th Annual National Lesbian and Gay Health Foundation Conference &
	12th HIV/AIDS Forum, June 21-25, 1994 at the Roosevelt Hotel,
	Madison & 45th - 202/994-4285

Daily Eucharists (Holy Communion) - The National AIDS Memorial at the
	Cathedral of St.  John the Divine at 112th and Amsterdam Ave is
	planning to celebrate Daily Eucharists at St.  Luke's Bay
	during the week prior to Stonewall 25. The week will culminate
	with an Ecumenical Service of Pride held at the Cathedral on
	Saturday, June 25, 1994 at 11:00 am.

Reception & Tribute to Native American, Alaskan Native, Asian & Pacific
	Islander and the 25th Anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising.
	Sponsored by American Indian Community House HIV/AIDS Project &
	API Coalition on HIV/AIDS, June 25, 1994  6:00 pm to 8:00 pm at
	404 Lafayette Street, 212/598-0100.

"We Remember," the pink Ribbons of Remembrance are available for a
	donation benefiting the People with AIDS Coalition of New York.
	The ribbons will be worn by many marchers during Stonewall 25.
	Each contains a space for the name of a loved one lost to AIDS,
	cancer, violence or other cause. Contact David Pais at PWAC/NY
	for more information at 212/647- 1415.

"Fighting for Our Lives" - Friday June 24, 1994 at 6:30 pm. 10th Annual
	AIDS Candlelight Vigil, an Interfaith Celebration of
	Remembrance and the Rededication of the AIDS Memorial in
	Greenwich Village.  Starts at Sheridan Square (7th Avenue at
	Christopher Street), proceeds down Christopher Street to
	Greenwich Street. Balloons/Candles for $1.00 donation.
	Sponsored by Christopher Street Festival Committee, 92-16
	Whitney Avenue, Suite 210, Elmhurst, New York 11373-2281,
	718/565-6789.

This bulletin sponsored by Life Entitlements, Suite 5270, Four World Trade
Center, New York, NY 10048, 800-420-1420.